Forget Prostate Problems With This Natural Treatments
Enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), is a disorder that generally affects men 50 years of age and older. BPH is not the same as prostate cancer.
The prostate is a small, muscular gland (in the shape of a walnut) in the male reproductive system. It surrounds the urethra just below the urinary bladder and adds fluid to semen to allow sperm mobility.
With age, the cells of the gland begin to multiply, leading to an enlarged prostate. Although the exact cause is unknown, changes in male sex hormones with age may be a factor.
Here are top 5 home remedies for this problem:
1. Sitz Bath
A contrast sitz bath is a soothing and effective remedy for enlarged prostate. The hot bath will help relax the pelvic muscles, reduce swelling and promote healing. On the other hand, the cold bath will ease pain.
- Fill one bathtub with warm water and add ½ cup of Epsom salt to it.
- Fill another bathtub with cold water and add a few drops of lavender essential oil to it.
- First, sit in the bathtub with hot water up to your waist for 3 minutes.
- Next, sit in the bathtub with cold water up to your waist for 1 minute.
- Do this 2 more times. The last bath should always be in the cool water.
- Enjoy a sitz bath a few times each week.
Note: Do not follow this remedy if you have acute bacterial prostatitis.
2. Stinging Nettle
Stinging nettle can also lessen BPH symptoms. The root contains essential bioactive phytochemicals that help shrink prostate tissue. Being a natural diuretic, it also encourages the elimination of inflammatory wastes through urination.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried nettle leaves to a cup of hot water. Steep for 10 minutes, then strain it. Drink this tea 2 or 3 times daily.
- You can also take a stinging nettle supplement. The usual amount is 300 mg daily. Always consult a doctor before taking a supplement for the correct dosage for your condition.
3. Corn Silk
Corn silk is a time-tested remedy to fight off symptoms of prostate enlargement. It acts as a natural diuretic and even helps relax the urinary muscles and lining. This leads to improved urine flow.
- Put the silk of 6 ears of fresh corn in 4 cups of water. Bring it to a boil, and then simmer for another 10 minutes. Strain and drink up to 3 cups of this corn silk tea a day.
- Another option is to add 15 drops of corn silk extract to 1 cup of water and drink it a few times a day.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar has astringent properties that help shrink swollen prostate glands. It also aids weight loss and helps prevent complications of enlarged prostate like UTIs.
- Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink it twice daily.
- Another option is to add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub of water and soak in it for 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy this soothing bath a few times a week.
5. Rye Grass Pollen Extract
Rye grass pollen extracts are made from three types of grass pollen — rye, timothy, and corn. A review of studies published in BJU International found that men who were taking rye grass pollen extracts reported an improvement in their symptoms compared to those who were taking a placebo.
This supplement seems to be especially helpful for preventing the need to get up during the night and use the bathroom. It can also help men urinate more completely, so there is less urine left in the bladder afterwards.